Production, Recording & Mixing with Al Groves is back! Join us at The Motor Museum for an intense two day course to unlock al Al’s tricks!
About this event
Follwing three consectuive sell-out years, I’m really pleased to offer the next iteration of my Production, Recording and Mixing masterclass for 2022! This will be an intensive two day workshop covering my approach to production, recording and mixing in my beautiful studio The Motor Museum (www.themotormuseum.com). Over the course of the two workshops I will be teaching in-depth the techniques I use daily on the records I make for artists such as Bring Me The Horiozon, The Sherlocks, STONE, The Reytons and more.
Day One – Production and Tracking – Saturday 24th September 2022
The first day will be a rock/indie recording session, focusing on drums, bass and guitar recording and production, and some programming. I’ll be covering what I do in great detail including…
- Drum selection and placement
- Tuning and moulding the drum sound in the room
- Microphone selection
- Placement and technique (including some tricks and tips to manage bleed and maniuplate the signals)
- Signal chains
- Processing drums on the way in to make it sound like a record
- The Vibe
- Producing great performances (we’ll have one of my favourite drummers playing for us!)
- Creating parts to enhance the arc of the song
- Editing (properly!) to keep the feel
- Dialling guitar sounds and getting the most from the amp
- Mic placement
- Layering for depth
- Achieving natural width without processing
- Multi mic setup’s
- How to keep stacked guitars in tune with each other
- Advanced arrangement tricks to make parts sound bigger
- Programming and synth parts to enchance the parts
Day Two – Mixing – Sunday 25th September 2022
The second masterclass will be mixing rock/indie, and we will be working on the project that we tracked in the previous session. This will be a whole session spent mixing a song from scratch and will cover my entire approach to mixing, which will include…
- Preparing the session
- The mixing mindset and overcoming self-doubt
- Workflow in and out of the box
- My go-to signal chains
- The five dimensions of a mix and how to control them
- Getting maximum impact
- Mixbuss processing
- Mixing for the song
- Bringing out dynamics
- Vocal sounds and presentation
- Using the arrangement to enhance the mix
- Fnal mix treatment ready for mastering
- Translating what I do to ‘in the box’ mixing
This session offers a no-holds barred insight into everything I do to take a multitrack to a finished mix, and the reasons why I do them.
Places are limited to 12 attendees per day with Al Groves. You can pick and choose which session to attend based on your interests, or book a weekend ticket to attend the full course. Sessions will be seven hours running from 10am – 5pm with a couple of thirty minute breaks. Free tea, coffee and soft drinks are included.
See you there!